By: YaQutullah Ibraheem Muhammad MS, RDN, LD
¾ cup zucchini, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach
¾ cup sweet Vidalia onions, julienned
¾ cup mixed bell peppers, chopped (orange, red and green) (fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup shredded cheese of your choice
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp crushed red pepper (dried) (optional)
3 large eggs or egg substitute
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup low-fat milk
¼ cup feta cheese
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
1 pie crust (store bought [choose one that does not use Lard as an ingredient] or make from scratch)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet sauté all veggies and red pepper flakes in olive oil on low until soft and brown.
- Put pie crust in oven for about 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and remove.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, kosher salt, milk, black pepper, yeast and cheeses together.
- Pour vegetable mix into pie crust and then pour over the egg mixture.
- Put in oven and bake on 350°F for about 20 minutes or until fork is inserted and comes out clean and crust is golden brown.
- Slice into 4-6 slices and serve hot.