By: Miriam Gross
2 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
½ small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 ears corn, kernels cut off ½ cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup buttermilk
1 large egg
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Toss the zucchini with ½ tsp. salt in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Wrap the zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze dry.
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook until crisp-tender. About 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, ¾ tsp salt and ¼ tsp. pepper in a medium bowl. Whish the buttermilk and egg in a large bowl, then stir in corn-onion mixture and zucchini.
- Add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat ⅛ inch vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Work in batches, scoop scant ¼ cupfuls of the batter into the oil and use the back of the measuring cup to flatten the scoops.
- Cook until the fritters are golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.