By: YaQutullah Ibraheem Muhammad MS, RDN, LD
(75 calories, 6 servings)
2⁄3 cup carrot, sliced
1⁄2 cup onion, diced
1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 cups fat-free vegetable broth
2 cups green cabbage, chopped (about 1/4 head)
1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄3 cup barley, uncooked
1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
- Spray large saucepan with non-stick spray.
- Add chopped carrots, onion and celery.
- Sauté over low heat 5-7 minutes until softened - add garlic for the last minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir with vegetables.
- Stir in broth, cabbage, herbs and barley. Simmer, partly covered, for 40 minutes until barley is softened.
- Add zucchini and parsley after the barley has cooked about 20 minutes, allowing them to cook for the last 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper and 1 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese as desired.