By: Gerri Seinberg, RD
6-8 chicken breasts with skin and bones, trimmed of excess fat
4 sheets matzo, broken into ½-inch pieces (about 3+ cups matzo farfel)
3 tbsp. margarine or oil
⅔ cup chopped onion
⅔ cup sliced celery
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 ¼ cup prunes, quartered
1 can (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
2 tbsp. thawed orange juice concentrate
3 tbsp. thawed orange juice concentrate
1 ½ teaspoons allspice
1 ½ teaspoons thyme
1 tbsp. honey
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Heat margarine or oil in 3-quart saucepan; add onion, celery, carrot, prunes and cook about 5 minutes.
- Mix in matzo, 2 tbsp. orange juice concentrate, chicken broth, allspice and thyme.
- Mix thoroughly and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to mix.
- Season with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Spoon into Pam-sprayed 13 x 9-inch baking dish; arrange chicken breasts on top. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix honey with 3 remaining tbsp. orange juice concentrate and brush each chicken piece with honey-orange mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until chicken is done, brushing 2 or 3 times more with honey-orange mixture.