By: Gerri Seinberg, RD
2 lemons – grate for 1 tbsp. lemon peel and ⅓ cup lemon juice
¼ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, cut into pieces
⅓ cup sugar
- In top of double boiler, combine all ingredients. (NOTE: I use a regular pan and cook over low heat.)
- Cook over hot (not boiling) water, stirring constantly until mixture is very thick and coats back of spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Strain, if desired, into bowl; cover with plastic warp and chill
1 can (8 oz.) walnuts (about 2 cups)
2 tbsp. matzo meal
4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
⅔ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 4-cup Bundt flan pan or shallow ridged tart pan; line center with waxed paper and grease.
- In blender or food processor, process walnuts and matzo meal until nuts are finely chopped.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form.
- In small bowl, with same beaters, beat egg yolks and sugar at high speed until very thick and lemon colored.
- Fold nut mixture then yolk mixture into egg whites and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on middle shelf 25-30 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched with finger.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely.
Top Assemble Fruit and Nut Torte
Place cake, indented-side up, on serving plate. Spoon LEMON CURD onto top of cake. Arrange cut sliced fresh or canned fruits (strawberries, kiwi, red or green grapes, bananas, etc.) in a pretty design over the filling. Heat 1-2 tbsp. honey to thin slightly then brush over fruit.