By: YaQutullah Ibraheem Muhammad MS, RDN, LD
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, washed, sorted
2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
1 15 oz. can coconut milk
Chopped cilantro, optional
- In a large pan, warm oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and curry powder; sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, lentils, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are very soft, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree half of soup in a blender until nearly smooth.
- Return pureed soup to pan.
- Stir in coconut milk and reheat gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally; do not boil.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro just before serving, if desired.