By: Gerri Seinberg, RD
½ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup matzo cake meal
8 oz. parve semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup boiling water
8 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9" cake pans; line bottom with parchment.
- In food processor, pulse pecans and matzo meal together until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to container.
- Dust out processor bowl; add chocolate and process until finely grated.
- Add boiling water and process until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 5 seconds.
- Beat eggs until blended; gradually add sugar and beat at "high" until eggs are thick, pale and triple in volume, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle ½ matzo-nut mixture over eggs and gently fold in. Repeat with remaining matzo-nut mixture.
Add chocolate in a stream, folding in gently.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake on middle shelf 25-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Loosen sides and let cool in pans then invert onto cooling racks.
For ease in handling cooled cake layers, place in freezer for 1 hour before removing from cooling rack.
6 large egg whites, room temperature
1 ½ cup sugar
2 tbsp. water
- Fill bottom of double boiler with 2" water; bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-high.
- Place egg whites in metal bowl to fit over double boiler. With wire whisk, gradually whisk in sugar and water.
- Place bowl over boiling water and beat at medium speed of portable mixer for 3 minutes. Increase speed and beat for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat until cool, about 10-15 minutes. Beat in ice bath if available.
- Reserve 1 cup frosting for decorating; use remainder (about 5 cups) for NOISETTE FLUFF FROSTING.
Noisette Fluff Frosting
1 cup pecans, chopped
¾ cup slivered almonds
¾ cup hazelnuts, skinned
2 tbsp. matzo cake meal
1 tsp. potato starch
6 cups Marshmallow Meringue
- Toast nuts at 350°F about 5 minutes or until lightly browned; cool.
- Place ½ the nuts, matzo cake meal and potato starch in food processor and process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Add remaining nuts and process until nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Fold nuts into 5 cups meringue; use to frost and fill cake layers. Decorate with remaining plain meringue.